Brief Introduction to our Programs:
‘Children building a World of Peace and Harmony’
Mentored by Gandhi Peace Foundation, Madras
- Sessions of All Religions Prayer for Peace in collaboration with members from seven Religions.
- Courses for students on Inter Religious Understanding and Appreciation.
- Conducted-tours for general public to various Religious Worship places.
- Monthly Satsangh sessions for sharing and understanding the teachings of other faiths.
- Seminar on “Common Religious Values for Peace”.
Promoting a Culture of Peace:
- Workshops for students on “Peace Education based on Gandhian Values.”
- Workshops for Teachers on “Peace Educators.”
- Walking tours, Cycle Yatra to violence-ridden places.
- Cleaning campaign and Neemseed collection for promoting dignity of manual labour and reverence for earth’s resources.
- Formation of ‘Peace Boys’ teams to spread peace messages.
- Residential Camps to inculcate the idea of ‘learn to care and share’.
- Setting up of ‘Youth for Peace’ clubs in schools for Peace activities.
- Publishing Wall Magazines on ” People’s Movement for Peace.”
- Publishing Story Books for children on Peace themes.
- Teaching spinning on Takli and Charkha to correlate ‘hand-head-heart’.
Spreading Gandhian Thought:
- Open-Book Exam, Quiz competitions on Gandhiji’s autobiography.
- Certificate Course on Gandhian Thought.
- Study Circles, Seminars, Colloquiums, and Teachers’ Forums in Colleges.
- Photo Exhibition on the life of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Promoting sale of khadi and books on Gandhi and Peace.
- Celebrating the birthdays of Gandhiji, Vinobaji, Bharathi, and Kamaraj, and promoting awareness of Gandhiji’s 18 Constructive Programmes.
- Conducting Drama Festivals in different schools to stage mini dramas on the importance of Gandhiji’s Eleven Vows.
- Music Appreciation sessions for the general public.
- Workshops for children to create stories, songs, skits, puppet shows, inclusive peace games, and traditional arts & craft.
- Short story competition for the public in collaboration with children’s magazines.
- Honouring parents, students, and teachers who promote Gandhian Values.
N.S.S Departments, Teacher Training Colleges, Rajiv Gandhi National Institute for Youth Development, Women’s Indian Association, Srinivasa Gandhi Nilayam, South Asia Peace Alliance, Various Religious and Social Service Organisations.
- Youth learn to think, speak out, and act on their own about what is right and just. Many of them have abandoned their wrong habits and wrong notions, and have started to ‘care and share’.
- Schools adopt our model of Open-Book Exam and are organising events in a decentralised manner through delegation of authority and responsibility.
- Educational institutions prescribe our book ‘Gandhian Way to Peace’ for their Value Education classes. This has also been translated in Gujarati and is being used in Gujarat.
- Teachers and students who participated in our projects have evolved as Peace Educators and Constructive Peace Activists.
- Many of our ideas for Peace are used in the cultural events organised by schools.
- On the whole, we have been successful, at least, in creating an environment in a few institutions wherein the students can enjoy the values of Peace and the appreciate the essence of unity in diversity.
- We have succeeded in creating goodwill and fellowship among friends and leaders of seven religions.
The ORACLE we use for Peace:
O: Observe Holistically
R: Restrain Oneself
A: Accept that which Comes
C: Celebrate Goodness
L: Love Labour
E: Evolve every Moment
The daily micro actions we do for Macro Peace:
- When one talks I listen with my whole being.
- I Interrupt with respect and exercise my right to talk.
- I don’t complain behind someone’s back, but confront directly.
- I don’t blame that which can’t be changed.
- I don’t gossip in the person’s absence.
- I accept my mistakes and resolve not to commit them again.
- Registered Public Charitable Trust
- Nine Members of the board and a panel of Patrons.
- Secretary: Dr.S.Kulandaisamy
- Joint Secretary and Treasurer: Dr.C.Shenbagavalli
- Mr.M.D.Chander, Rtd. Sr. Manager, M/s Schwing Stetter (India) Pvt. Ltd., Chennai
- Mr. A. Anantharaman, Retd. Manager, IOB, Sivagangai
- Mr. A. Soosai Rathinam, Teacher Educator, Mannargudi
Ms. Perviz D. Bhote
Gandhi Peace Foundation Madras, 332, Ambujammal Street, Alwarpet, Chennai-600018.